Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Technology Tools

My love for technology started after I bought myself an iPad during my second year of teaching. 

    I had never used one before but I realized right away how beneficial it could be in the classroom. After searching long and hard for great educational apps for my students I found a few that fit the bill. After downloading useful math and reading apps I started bringing it in everyday to school (and a hard case to protect my iPad from all the bumps, drops and gross finger prints that happen with 5 year olds). 

   Each day I would let one student use the iPad when during Universal Access time. They also got to use the iPad when they finished their work. We had a list and would rotate through the class list to ensure everyone received a turn. 

   This was a great motivator for my little kindergarten students. I love how easy it was use for them to use. No mouse and no big computer. After a few short sessions of how to use and operate the iPad, and lets not forget our new rule of "if your don't stay on the correct apps then you lose your iPad privileges", my students were ready to roll. 

    My students were hooked. I created different folders for math and reading apps. Depending on what skills they needed to work on, they had a choice of different apps to play. 

    This was by far my favorite way to incorporate such an awesome technology tool into my classroom. I didn't have wifi at my school so I did have to make sure I had the apps already downloaded and that the app didn't require wifi to operate it. Other than that it was a dream in the classroom. I find that incorporating technology tools in Kindergarten  can be somewhat tough. The iPad allowed the students to use the technology without me having to do the all work for them. They were able to become independent and learned how it worked very quickly.

What is your favorite technology tool to use in the classroom and why?

5 comments:

  1. Hello Stacie,
    It is amazing to see kindergartens using iPads. We are luck at my school and the lower graders also have access to this technology. I also like to see them using the SmartBoard. This generation will not even see a chalkboard and chalk.
    I have taught third grade for 8 years and a technology that I like to use in my classroom is the CPS clickers. http://www.einstruction.com/srs-overview . It takes time to train the students but when they are used to work with the clickers, it is great.
    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love using the smart board in my classroom as well. Another one of my favorite tools What a great idea with the clickers. I bet it helps with engagement.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoy using iPads in the classroom too, great post! They are fabulous learning tools. Right now, I am really enjoying using iMovie and DoInk (apps) for iPad movie making with a green screen. Green screening allows you to have backgrounds of your choice when filming...think what the weatherman does! I have only gotten into using it with kids recently, so I'm excited to find ways to incorporate creative movie making with a green screen into content areas. I'm thinking science and social studies are a great place to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am making a movie project for my project based learning class. I will have to check out those two apps for the project. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of it, but I will be checking it out for sure! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete